The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) issued Revenue Memorandum Order (RMO) No. 55-2022 dated December 15, 2022, to inform the public of the suspension of all field audit and other field operations of the BIR relative to examinations and verifications of taxpayers’ books of accounts, records, and other transactions from December 16, 2022, to January 8, 2023.
Under the RMO, no written orders to audit and/or investigate taxpayers’ internal revenue tax liabilities shall be served, except in the following cases:
- Investigation of cases prescribing on or before April 15, 2023;
- Tax evasion cases;
- Processing and verification of estate tax returns, donor’s tax returns, capital gains tax returns and withholding tax returns on the sale of real properties or shares of stock together with the documentary stamp tax returns related thereto;
- Examination and/or verification of internal revenue tax liabilities of taxpayers retiring from business;
- Monitoring of privilege stores (tiangge); and
- Other matters/ concerns where deadlines have been imposed.
During the said period, BIR examiners and investigators are directed to do office work on their cases and to complete the report on those cases with field work already completed. They are also reminded to direct all their efforts to ensure maximum revenue collection throughout the year. Thus, the service of Assessment Notices as well as Warrants and Seizure Notices should still be effected.
Please be guided accordingly.
P&A Grant Thornton
Certified Public Accountants
P&A Grant Thornton is the Philippine member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd.
As published in SunStar Cebu, dated 29 December 2022